Tuesday, June 11, 2013

6-11-13

I wish I could talk about work. I think it would be very cathartic and stress relieving.  But because I work for "The Man" I can't.  See, the first rule about working for "The Man" is you don't talk about working for "The Man". So I will not talk about working for "The Man" except to say I enjoy my job and almost everyone I work with. It can be stressful and frustrating, but very rewarding.

Stress does horrible things to me.  It's no one's fault but my own though. When I get stressed I stop doing little things that make a huge difference, like making to do lists, taking regular breaks, simply breathing. I also start doing things like not sleep, drink too much caffeine, put an inhuman amount of pressure on myself to be perfect.  This all leads to lovely things called panic attacks for me. Not pretty. Therapy has been invaluable to me over the past few years in recognizing my triggers and knowing how to deal with them and how to treat my panic attacks. Every day I make a to do list. Sometimes I just add to the previous day's list, but the important thing is having something where I can focus on one item at a time and see progress as I mark the items off my list.  That's probably the most important thing I do that helps keep me from being overwhelmed and out of control. I also regularly meditate. I also always have to remember that I am an imperfect person living in an imperfect world and there's only so much I have in my power to do. That's what I can worry about, not what is not in my control.

Like I said above, I also take a regular break for lunch during the day. Sometimes it's only half of what I'm allowed, but I do take at least half to give me an opportunity to not have to answer the phone and to just veg out watching Netflix or Hulu, whatever strikes my fancy. Right now I'm watching Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. I clearly remember watching it with my brother when I was a little girl. It didn't last long, only 2 seasons. The first season was fun to watch. I enjoyed the lightheartedness and the hokiness.  The second season kind of sucks.  I think they tried to be too serious and they lost the fun of the first season. Buck lost his charm. I'm having a hard time making it through the end of the second season.

Anyway, that's how I handle my stress for the most part. It's all about finding what works for you like so many other things.

Week 2 of my challenge on Nerdfitness is going well.  I've completed 1of 3 Zombies, Run workout, I've logged my food and activity so far and with this post I've completed my weekly blog post. Tomorrow I have another Zombies, Run workout, thursday I have my body weight. Exercises and Friday I have my third Zombies, Run workout. 

1 comment:

  1. You rock! Understanding that your perfectly imperfect is something I wish I could come to terms with. Keep up the good work with the weight loss. Before you know it, you will have reached your goal and checking things off your list "like it was your job!

    ReplyDelete