Monday, January 26, 2015

1-26-2015

I feel like the only fat girl on earth who is not choosing weight-loss surgery.

And just so I'm clear, please don't think this is a diatribe against weight-loss surgery.  As I've said before weight-loss surgery is a powerful tool if that's your choice.  It's not my choice and that's totally ok.

Anyway, I feel like the only fat girl on earth who is not choosing weight-loss surgery.  In the last few months several people I know online have announced they are having surgery.  I know one in real life who is planning it.  I also know about 5 online who have had surgery.  All of the people I know who have had surgery have a history with weightloss and gaining it back multiple times. They know how to lose it, but keeping it off was elusive.  Not my point though. The number of people I know having surgery has made me question myself. Am I doing weightloss wrong?

I would certainly hope no one thought I was doing it wrong.  After all, I've lost 100 ponnds and kept 80 off for about a year.  That's pretty damn spectacular!  (And if you don't think so, keep it to yourself.  I sometimes have impulse control issues and might end up popping you one on the nose).

Why did I not choose surgery?  The idea of surgery is scary. It almost immediately changes how you have to live and eat but offers no guarantee that you will lose the weight and keep it off.  Surgery also doesn't address the reasons I got fat to start with, although in order to remain successful the people who have surgery have to deal with it eventually anyway, from what I understand. Surgery also often offers much quicker (initially) weightloss.  Would I like weightloss to be quick? Absolutely!  Mentally, I don't think I could deal. My overall weightloss has been slow but it has given me an opportunity to get used to the newer version of myself at each step, an opportunity to wrap my head around my new life and choices.

The more I think on it the more I come to see and understand that no matter what method of weightloss you choose, as long as it's healthy and sustainable long term, how can it be wrong?  We
don't all have to choose the same thing and we don't have to justify those choices either.  I know what's the right choice for me.  Second guessing and doubting myself isn't going to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment