Sunday, January 12, 2014

1-12-14

I've been thinking a lot in the past week about what inspires and motivates me. The reason it's been on mind is that I've heard from a lot of people in the past week, and honestly longer, that my weightloss and attitude about my weightloss inspires them and has helped motivate them. People look up to me and respect the efforts I've made in the past 2+ years of my weightloss.  While I am uncomfortable being anyone's inspiration (unless it's as a caveat of what not to do), I am also deeply moved and gratified by your thoughts.

What inspires me and motivates me

I am inspired by people who make exercise and healthful living a normal part of their life. The person who sticks out in my mind is a person I know from various web communities I've belonged to over the years. She gets up early and goes to the gym every morning before work.  She eats the right fuel for her body.  She makes herself and her health a priority.  She does this quietly and doesn't expect parades or parties in her honor.  It's just what she does to stay and be healthy. And you know what?  It totally pays off!  She's gorgeous!  (that bitch).  That's the kind of life I want and am trying to craft for myself (except, who am I kidding?  I totally want parades and parties).

I am motivated by a lot.

First of all I'm motivated by myself. I know that sounds conceited, but really I don't feel that it is. I don't want to be the Monica from 2 years ago. That Monica was killing herself without even really knowing. She was miserable. I do not want to be that Monica!  When I feel my motivation slipping or when I feel super extra hungry or when I catch myself slipping into old habits, I think of that Monica and remember the bad stuff from 100 lbs ago.

I am motivated by tv shows about weightloss. Think shows like Biggest Loser or My 600lb Life or Extreme Weightloss. While I don't think shows like these always represent a true picture of healthy, sustainable weightloss I love seeing people turn their lives around.

I am motivated by every person who has ever said that a morbidly obese person can't lose weight without surgery.  Every time I hear a comment like this whether it is in the media or real life, I think to myself, 'oh yeah?  Watch me!'.   *please note that I do not say this as a commentary against weightloss surgery, only that I knew it wasn't the choice for me. Weightloss surgery is a powerful tool that should not ever be discounted.

I am motivated by my husband and being a model of health for him. I'm not getting into my reasons for that, because I don't want to get into anything that he might feel is too private. Let's just leave it at he's my husband.  I love him and want him around for a long time.

And finally, I am motivated by all of you. Every comment and like on Facebook, everytime someone's face lights up when I tell them how much I've lost, every time anyone compliments me. I don't want that to stop, so I'm going to keep going.

Sometimes I feel that I can't be anyone's inspiration until I've gotten to a healthy weight and have successfully maintained it for a while, but I don't think that's really fair. I think it's important for people to see the struggle of weightloss and not only the end result. It humanizes weight issues.

So thank you to anyone who might look to me for inspiration and motivation. I will try to do right by you by doing right by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment